Wednesday, February 10, 2010

The Pillars of the Earth - Ken Follett

MY THOUGHTS: A good friend of mine who is very into books recommended this novel to me quite some time ago, and regrettably, I just got around to reading it. Though it seemed to go on forever and ever and ever and ever, I did enjoy it thoroughly. I wasn't too pleased with the ended as it seemed rather abrupt, a stark contrast with the rest of the novel, but it did tie up all the lose ends, as some novels tend to miss.

EXCERPT:  From page 71:

"A numb coldness settled over Tom like a fog. She was gone. He stared at her face.How could she  not be there? He willed her to move, to open her eyes, to draw breath.  He kept his hand on her chest. Sometimes a heart might start again, people said - but she had lost so much blood. . . . ."

MY RATING: 8/10

Like I said, I thoroughly enjoyed this story. Though at times I wished to skip over several of the 983 pages, overall, the novel was able to entice the reader to forage on. Several points of view lent an even more open perspective to the trials and tribulations endured by each of the main characters and rich details led to intense visualizations of 12th century England.

I would highly recommend this novel to readers with a strong will and an intense curiosity.

No comments:

Post a Comment