Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Cunt: A Declaration of Independence - Inga Muscio


I've never done a public book review before, well, not since grade school when those types of things were required as part of the curriculum, so please excuse the haphazard way for which this may come off.

MY THOUGHTS:

First off, I would like to make it clear that I am, in no way, shape, or form, a feminist. Though this book was recommended to me by a feminist professor, I took her word as a literary composer herself, that her bias towards feminine novels was not her primary reason for the recommedation.

This novel, however, did make me want to have sex with myself for hours. Just kidding...kinda.

Cunt is not just about girl power. It's about self-love. It's about women embracing women and all things that are sacred to a woman. There are excerpts about abortions, births, sex, coming of age (in a way), and all sorts of tear-jerking and fall-onto-the-floor-laughing moments. The author wants women to embrace the word CUNT and take it back. Not to settle for it as a derogatory term, but as a term of endeament.

Thank you Inga Muscio for teaching me to love my cunt!

EXCERPT:

One day I came home from third grade and asked my pops, "What's a wetback?"

With resignation and a sigh, Dad elucidated a brief history of "wetback." He concluded, "Don't you ever say it."

A list of words I was similarly not to utter was forthcoming: nigger, beaner, kike, wop, jap, injun, spic. The only formal cuss word included on his roster was "cunt."

Coming as I did from a family where us kids were allowed to strew profanities like rice at a wedding, I was mighty affected by all this. Why, in my father's way of thinking, could I call someone an asshole, but not a wetback nigger cunt?

The foreshadowings of a mystery.

MY RATING:
9/10

I would recommend this book to anyone and everyone. It's a great novel. And it's fun to sit on a plane reading this book and laugh at everyone who wonders why "such a nice looking girl would read such filth." It's also pretty damn sweet when the girl sitting next to you, who has ignored you for the first 2 1/2 hours of the flight, decides to ask you as the plane is landing if the book entails all that she thinks it does.

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful review!! I've heard about this book from many friends, but have yet to pick it up. It's on my wish list though. I have every intention of reading it ASAP.

    I loved the excerpt you included as well.

    Thanks so much for a great review!

    ReplyDelete